Trying to figure it out

• Phillip
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago #628 by Phillip
Trying to figure it out was created by Phillip
Thanks for making your map modules, it looks like there is potential to create some really exciting maps and content using your tools. I am stuck on the initial zoom. No matter what number I set it on it zooms in so close it looks like there is no map there. I have tried setting on a small number and I have tried setting it on a large number and no matter what it appears so zoomed in the map is invisible.

What I need is to be able to be zoomed out so the viewer can the entire map of the world with markers on different countries where parts of my novel occur. Then I want to be able to include linked content to the markers that takes the viewer to the detailed content and parts of the story for the location indicated by the marker.

So can you tell me what else I can do to get the marker set basically in Chad Africa, Zoomed way out so that we can see the markers from the US to China, from Peru to Turkey?

I appreciate your help,

Phillip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #629 by Dima
Replied by Dima on topic Re: Trying to figure it out
Hi Phillip.

Lets resolve your problems and task step by step.

1 - Without link I can't help clearly, but.
If you can't see a map, may be you have incorrect text in placemark, for example, not closing tags or something else.

If you see every time a map of world, without any reaction for zoom level on map, may be you set on some placemark "Action by Click" = "Zoom", and set this level. And set "Open InfoWin" = true.
Explaination: fiels "Open InfoWin" on placemark activate finction "Action by Click" when placemark is created.

In any case, you can unpublish all your placemarks (don't delete it), and check your map, is it displayed OK. After that publish your placemark one by one and you'll find "problem" placemark :P

2 -

What I need is to be able to be zoomed out so the viewer can the entire map of the world with markers on different countries where parts of my novel occur. Then I want to be able to include linked content to the markers that takes the viewer to the detailed content and parts of the story for the location indicated by the marker.

For example, create map with your placemarks and zoom to all world.
Set for each placemark "URL Site" = URL to your article for placemark.
Set "Action by Click" to "Open link" or "Open link in new page".
In this case, when you click on placemark this link will opened.
You can set zoom by click too, if you want to change zoom when clicking on placemark.

3 - the third your paragraph I can't understand. Explain me more detail.

Don't forget support my developments: post review in JED , donate , help with translation ;)

More
11 years 11 months ago #630 by Dima
And if you want to show a map in an article, you can use my plugin. In have the same functionality (only without 2 features).
Additionally you can show map by a definite placemark and center map on it. And you don't need to create many maps.

Don't forget support my developments: post review in JED , donate , help with translation ;)

• Phillip
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago #633 by Phillip
Replied by Phillip on topic Re: Trying to figure it out
Dima,

Thanks for jumping in to help me, I hope I'm not keeping you off of that sailboat. ;)

So starting with the first problem, I only had one marker set, I turned it off, but that didn't seem to fix it. Which numbers are zoomed out? The higher numbers or the lower? For me it doesn't matter where I set that initial zoom, the map always appears zoomed in too close. If I pull back far enough, the map becomes visible. On the website this is all that I'm getting,which may have nothing to do with the map - this is a recently upgraded version and we have other problems plaguing the site:
theawakeningmusic.com/sgtest/jupgrade/in...emap&id=1&Itemid=206

I think I have figured out to create the links as you have outlined but I won't know until the map appears.

Ultimately I would like to create something akin to the map at the link below but with the ability to link to my own content:
themeforest.net/item/the-navigator-premi...397351?ref=readactor

thanks so much for your help, I think you've creeated some amazing tools, it is only my lack of expertise that is the problem.

Phillip

More
11 years 11 months ago #635 by Dima
Your problem is:
you set height = 0, and it means you set 100% of height of container.
BUT: when you use a templates, it have nested divs. And if you set 100% of height to map, you HAVE TO set 100% height for ALL parent divs for map.

As you can see my demos, if you want to have full screen map - you have to create (or get) simple template, on which applied 100% for container. And apply it for you map page.

I created for this my template, zhuk.cc/wiki/index.php/Zh_Template_Map_FullScreen
This is link to download
forum.zhuk.cc/index.php/component/kunena...is-template?Itemid=0

Today I fixed my wiki, and I'll add this link to documentation

If you don't want to use 100%, just set height for map and you'll see it!

More
11 years 11 months ago #636 by Dima
As for second link - it quite nice looking.
I think I should add style for placemarks like this.
Today you see lists of placemark. I think it is good looking style - one placemark and navigation buttons

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Donate

Go to top