feature request for directions

• helenbn
  • helenbn's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago #1163 by helenbn
feature request for directions was created by helenbn
Hi Dima,

My clients don't understand that they need to put a start address in the text field when getting a route. They just click on the "Get Route" and then get an error. Could you add a "From" before the text field or at least tell me how to do it?

Thanks,
Helen

Pretty Good Designs | prettygooddesigns.com | Hey, that's pretty good!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #1165 by Dima
Replied by Dima on topic feature request for directions
Hi Helen.

Do you have latest versions. Because there I added into placemarks buttons start and end point for direction.
And If you click, the A and B icons appears. Or can you point me to your page and describe how to get an error.
Or you create route to map center?

Lets talk about your problem, and I fixed if it is

Don't forget support my developments: post review in JED , donate , help with translation ;)

• helenbn
More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #1169 by helenbn
Replied by helenbn on topic feature request for directions
Hi Dima,

I am not sure I understand what you are saying so let me explain more what I am saying.

My clients want to get directions from their house to the location. So they need to enter their house address in the text box and then click "Get Route." Instead, they are clicking "Get Route" thinking something else will happen that will ask them to input their start address. That's when they get an error because Google doesn't know where to start the route from.

Example here: smldragonboatrace.com/race-day/dragon-directions

And yes, I am using the latest version. ;)

Thanks,
Helen

Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by helenbn.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #1170 by Dima
Replied by Dima on topic feature request for directions
Hi Helen.
I think you should do like this:
1 - Set width for Text Item, where you enter text address. Open Map Find Control (geocoding) slider and set value into Find Control width field in pixels. In this case all three items will be align in one line. And they (your customers) understand what they have to do
2 - You can activate Places API for autocomplete entering text address. Open Places Library slider, set Enable using Places to Yes, Radius to 0, Show Autocomplete field to Yes. In this case they more simple can write its address
3 - You can activate Geolocation feature - finding your position by your IP. Go to Geolocation slider and set Geolocation Control to Yes. You can select how it will look like. And in slider Control Positions you can define its position. In this case they can see button on map, and when press it - the position will be detected and the route will be shown.

And I said, that if you open InfoWin for placemark, you'll see 2 icons (at least) in the bottom of infowin - set placemark as start or as end waypoint. And in this case if you press it, you'll see icons A or B near Travailing mode selection (Driving...) and placemark title (this is pair - start and end points). And you can restrict this mode too (if, for example, bicycles or hiking not uses)
I think I have to write a little example in my docs for this case

PS I understand, they got the error ZERO_RESULT, because they not filled text address. I'll add this check and show alert in next releases.

Don't forget support my developments: post review in JED , donate , help with translation ;)
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Dima.

• helenbn
More
11 years 9 months ago #1198 by helenbn
Replied by helenbn on topic feature request for directions
Hi Dima,

Sorry for the delay. I just found your reply.

I have made the suggested changes except for geolocation feature for personal reasons (this does not work for many people here because many have satellite Internet and the IP address puts them thousands of miles from their actual location). With these changes, it works GREAT! :woohoo:

Thank you so much!
Helen

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds

Donate

Go to top